Monday, May 26, 2014

Book Review: Twisted Sisters by Jen Lancaster


                                                18114097





Allow me to begin this review by stating that I have regularly enjoyed Lancaster's memoir-style books, such as Bitter is the New Black. Maybe it's because she is a Chicago suburb gal and I can appreciate that mid-western vibe. Maybe it's because she has a self-deprecating humor that I can get behind. For whatever reason, I have enjoyed her non-fiction work. But her fiction work thus far is at best...ehhhhh. This book follows a trio of sisters, with the narrator being the classic "middle child"-- in that she clearly has issues with her younger sister and her older sister. Naturally, the middle child (Reagan) goes on a crazy, if not completely unbelievable, astral journey and realizes that her sisters are, in fact, quite amazing and not the fat, underachievers she had thought them to be.

Perhaps the unbelievability of it is what gets me; the book has a Freak Friday vibe to it, what with the constant body swapping. Also, the vernacular of a early twenties male is depicted in a way that is so embarrassingly out of touch I almost feel sorry for Lancaster. Who is she interacting with that she believes this is how people talk? I recognize that I am no longer in my early twenties, or a male, but trust me, they don't speak like that.

I can appreciate the resolution of the story, but the path to get there is not one that I enjoyed taking. I understand that a story does not need to be believable (hello, harry potter!?) but I guess it bothered me because of the lack of foundation. I had a hard time believing the the main character would fall for astral projection/time traveling, and she is convinced of its wondrous powers within minutes.

Basically, this book fell short for me. I gave it one star on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment