Monday, March 30, 2015

Book Review | The Precious One by Marisa de los Santos

23215482
 
I popped into my local library the other day to pick up some books I had on hold, and while I was there I took a quick look through the new releases shelf. 
The Precious One caught my eye because I have read some of de los Santos other books, and from what I can recall, I really enjoyed them. Plus, the blue is quite bright and is probably what caught my eye to begin with. I quickly added it to my pile and devoured it on Saturday.
 
The Plot
 
Eustacia "Taisy" Cleary has only loved 3 men in her life; her high school boyfriend Ben Ransom, her twin brother Marcus and Wilson Cleary, her father. Her father is a professor, inventor, philanderer, self-made millionaire and grade A jerk. Seventeen years prior, Wilson ditched his family to start a new one with Caroline, a beautiful, young artist. In those seventeen years, Taisy's family has only seen Wilson, Caroline and their daughter Willow one time; and it was a disaster. The book picks up with Wilson calling Taisy seemingly out of the blue, asking her to come for an extended visit and to get to know her younger sister.
 
My Thoughts
 
This book is told in alternating voices; those of Taisy and Willow. It's really interesting to have those two different voices butted up against one another; Taisy and her complicated relationship with Wilson versus Willow and her complete and utter adoration of Wilson. This novel just shows how complicated families are; how heartbreaking people can be and the pure emotion that is embedded in all of it. 
To me, this book was an effortless read. I wanted to know what was going to happen, and they don't give the entire backstory away in the first 3 chapters. I was completely intrigued by the Ben Ransom factor and am glad they gave us the story within the story. I highly recommend this book and I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads.




No comments:

Post a Comment