Monday, April 13, 2015

Book Review | Hidden Girl by Louise Millar

21968646
 
This book was dubbed a psychological thriller. I am not entirely sure that is accurate, but it was (at times) a bit suspenseful. I have read two other of Louise Millar's books before diving into The Hidden Girl, and I enjoyed them both so I was excited to read this one.
 

The Plot
 
Hannah Riley is hopeful that a move to the Suffolk countryside will be a fresh start for herself and her husband Will. Hannah is desperate for a child, and it has become her obsession and it's beginning to drive her and her husband apart. So, a move to the idyllic countryside manor Tornley Hall seems just the ticket.
A snow storm strikes though, and Will gets stuck in London and Hannah is cut off in their remote village. The townsfolk are acting strange, there are threatening figures lurking near the property at night and their neighbors seem really keen to get them to leave. As Hannah begins to ask questions and poke around more to answer these questions she begins to uncover a terrible crime. She wants to do the right thing, but at what cost?
 
My Thoughts
 
 A lot of times with mystery or suspense books, I can figure out where the plot is going but with this one I was definitely confused. Which is a good thing, keeps you wanting to continue reading the book to what happens - that is definitely what happened with this book. There are a few creepy parts, but I am a grade A scaredy cat and read this book before bed and was fine. If you're looking for a book to keep you guessing, then I recommend this to you.
A few things I did not like about the book is that some of it just doesn't seem to make any sense - it's not believable. The key to a mystery/suspense book is to have a level of believability to it so then the reader feels it even more. I gave this book 3 stars on Goodreads.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment