Thursday, September 4, 2014

Book Review | Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler


So a friend of mine recommended this book to me, actually. I rarely have NOT read a book that someone recommends to me, so when she told me she had enjoyed this book and I hadn't read it yet I immediately checked it out of the library and got down to business.

This story begins with 89 year old Isabelle McAllister asking her black hairdresser Dorrie Curtis to drop everything and drive her from her home in Arlington, Texas to a funeral in Cincinnati, Ohio. Dorrie, looking to flee some of her own problems, readily agrees -- looking forward to getting away and maybe beginning unlock some of Isabelle's guarded past.  While on the road, Isabelle admits to falling in love in with Robert, a black would-be doctor and son of her family's housekeeper in 1930's Kentucky -- in a town where blacks were not allowed after dark. The story of their romance, and their loss, is truly captivating.

If I could have, I would have sat and read this story all day long. Unfortunately silly things like work and life made that difficult to do. This book was so good! The story of Isabelle and Robert keeps you on the edge of your seat, and just when you think it's tragic enough, another surprise turn. I love stories like that, that seem like they are predictable enough and you're enjoying the ride, but then bam! Something so heart wrenching throws you for a loop, that was the case with this story. I read a review that stated this book was one part The Help and one part Water for Elephants and I can get behind that analysis. If you enjoyed either of those books, I would say you would enjoy this book as well. This is my first Julie Kibler book, but I hope it won't be my last.

I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment