Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Books | On my nightstand | Sept. 2014

Another month, so another look at what books are currently on my nightstand and in a pile waiting for me to read! Since I am offically back at work from summer vacation, my reading time is dwindling. But that doesn't stop me from having a library problem. So here are the 6 books I hope to finish in September! 



Last month I read the fourth book, Five Ways to Fall, and quite enjoyed it. So I decided to start back at the beginning, which is this book. This books follows Kacey Cleary and the fall out in her life following a drunk driving accident four years prior. Her main priority is to wait out her hellish life until her little sister Livie is no longer a minor and then they can escape. When their Uncle Raymond slips into bed next to Livie one night, Kacey decides she has had enough and it's time to leave. They flee to Miami, where they take up residence is an apartment complex full of "characters".  Naturally, the fellow residing in apartment 1D catches Kacey's eye, but she is broken beyond repair...or so she believes.
My thoughts: I enjoy books where people have shitty lives, I know it seems sick but it's the truth. I look forward to reading this book, and I am positive I will enjoy since it seems fairly similar to the other book I read by K.A. Tucker.

I have read 2 other books by Cathy Lamb, and I super loved them...hence why I am already onto a third book! This one is about the woman in Megge O'Rourke's family. They have run a lingerie business for decades, and naturally, their family dynamic is fairly dysfunctional. Meggie wants to stay away, but her grandmother has summoned her back to Portland, Oregon. Given the flux in her life the past year, Meggie is secretly happy for a focus - to keep the family business afloat and deal with her bickering family. In an attempt to draw customers to their website, Meggie begins to interview relatives and employees about their first bra's and favorite lingerie items. What she finds are unexpectedly poignant stories, and revelations that highlight her family's past and help Meggie begin to find her footing again.
My thoughts:  Lamb has no problem writing books about issues that are uncomfortable and I love that. I am eager to read this one, and hear the stories people share. I like unexpected, and I feel like there is more than meets the eye with this novel. 


This is the first book in a series of the same name, there are at least two that I know of. In this novel, 16 year old Alexandria Lee is forced to leave her west coast home after her mother dies in a tragic accident. Alexandria is forced to move in with her wealthy grandmother in Georgia, a grandmother that she has never had a relationship with. Just by birth, Alex is rightfully a member of the Magnolia League - a long standing debutante society. This is a far cry from the life Alex is used to, and she is the first in decades to question the intentions. Yet, even with her unwillingness she gets caught up in their world. Alex discovers a pact and some deadly secrets hidden beneath the "southern charm". 
My thoughts: This book seems kind of mysterious, and I like that. Maybe a little dark, but not too crazy...no nightmares (hopefully!). 


Twin sisters Milly and Twiss spend their days nursing people and birds back to health. But it wasn't always this way, back in the summer of 1947 Milly was known as a great beauty and Twiss was a wild child who never wore a dress or do what she was told. That was also the summer their father was in an accident and their mother finally admitted that their penny pinching lives would never change. It was also the summer their priest renounced his belief and God and ran away, and also the summer a boy caught Milly's eye. And most unforgettable, it was the summer their cousin Bett changed their lives forever.
My thoughts:  I read about this book in my free book magazine I get my from my library. I feel like I have no idea what it is really about, but I still want to read it. I feel like that is good enough for me, so I checked it out. I don't need much encouragement in reading, in case you couldn't have figured this out.

This is the 4th book in the Kovac and Liska series, if you're a Tami Hoag reader. I have read these all out of order, but it hasn't proved to be complicated to figure it out. On New Year's Eve in Minneapolis, MN a young woman's beaten body falls from the trunk of a car into the path of traffic. She is the 9th nameless female victim of the year and homocide dectectives Kovac and Liska are given the task of finding out who she is and why this happened to her. Their fear is that she is the 9th victim of the transient serial killer they have dubbed Doc Holiday. Doc Holiday has been criss-crossing America's heartland, choosing his victims at random; snatching them from one city and leaving them in another...always on a holiday.
My thoughts: I love Tami Hoag, and all of her series, even the particularly gruesome ones. I think this is the last one I have to read in this particular series.

33 year old Shea Rigsby has lived her whole life in Walker, Texas...a small college town that eats, drinks and breathes football, a passion she also shares. Her best friend, Lucy, is the daughter of legendary football coach Clive Carr. When a tragedy occurs in Walker, Shea's comfortable world is no more and she begins to wonder if the live she has chosen is the one she really wants. She decides to step outside of her safety net, and follow an unexpected path. She discovers the truth about the people and things she has always trusted, and is forced to confront her deepest desires, fears and secrets.
My thoughts:  Giffin's books have never really made me feel anything beyond mild amusement. This book has the appearance of being able to go a bit deeper, and it didn't really tell me much by the description which I like. 

What books are on your nightstand? Or what books are you currently reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment