Monday, September 14, 2015

Book Review | Maud's Line by Margaret Verble

 22859407



I got an email from a publisher asking me if I was interested in reading and reviewing Maud's Line for my blog. I happily accepted and then this little ole blog received it's first mail actually addressed to a mess of es! It happened to arrive right in the middle of moving and unpacking and trying to find a job (I found one!) so it kind of slipped out of my mind. But now we are settled and getting into a life routine; so I picked it up and read it.

The Plot


Set in Eastern Oklahoma in 1928; Maud Nail is 18 years old and lives with her often-missing father and sensitive brother on one of the allotments given out by the US Government to the Cherokees when their land was confiscated for Oklahoma's statehood. Maud's days are filled with hard work, loneliness and is often marked with tragedy and violence as well. Then one day she meets the good-looking newcomer, Booker Wakefield, and her prospects for a better life suddenly don't seem so slim.

My Thoughts


I always want to like a book that I was given for free. Unfortunately, this one left me feeling kinda of meh. I was excited to read it because I don't know a lot about Oklahoma in 1928 or the Cherokees. I still don't know much except that apparently they slept around a lot. I was surprised by the amount of sex in the book; and I'm not a prude! I just wasn't expecting it, but go Maud, she got hers for sure. There was a lot that I wish would have been expanded on, I felt it was lacking in character development for everyone except Maud. I really wanted to know more about her family, her brother and even Booker's past. I just felt like there was a lot more places it could have gone that would have made the story just that much more enticing. Because of all that, I gave this book 2 stars.

I was contacted by the publisher and offered a copy of this book for review. All opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment