Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Recipes | Chicken and Sausage Gumbo


 So a perk of being unemployed for a few weeks was I took on some cooking adventures I normally would pass on. I don’t like dishes that have lots of steps, and take lots of time. This dish has those elements, but it’s not HARD so don’t think you can’t do it because you CAN. It dirties more dishes than I generally prefer, but that’s not a big deal. You can probably make this a lot easier by using instant rice. Rice is my cooking nemesis. I can never cook it properly, my husband always has to step in and take it over. I should remember this and do instant, but I always think I will figure it out eventually. ANYWAY, here is a delicious (and I can’t wait to eat it in the winter) Chicken and Sausage Gumbo!

Ingredients

4 tbsp butter
1/4 cup diced celery
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp garlic
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1/2 lb smoked sausage
2 chicken breasts
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp creole seasoning

Instructions

Boil your chicken in a pot, with water until fully cooked. Then shred and set aside.
Start your rice (I used brown rice and it takes longer to cook). Combine 1 cup rice with 2 cups water and a sprinkling of salt. Bring to a boil and then cover, set to simmer for about 35-40 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is fluffy.
In a large pot or dutch oven melt 2 tbsp of butter over med-low heat.
Once foamy, add in celery and bell pepper and a sprinkling of salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, until soft.
Add in garlic and cook another 3 minutes.
Add in the chicken stock, black pepper, cayenne pepper and then stir to combine.
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover.
Slice the sausage and add to a skillet and cook until browned.
Transfer cooked sausage to chicken broth mixture and pour out any excess grease/fat.
In the same skillet you just cooked the sausage in, melt 2 tbsp of butter.
When foamy, add in flour and whisk until light brown in color.
Add to chicken stock mixture and stir.
Add in creole seasoning and stir.
Throw in chicken and stir.
Let sit at simmer until rice is done, then serve over rice.
Enjoy!

This is super good with cornbread, which my husband made while I did the gumbo. If you’re interested in his recipe, let me know and I will get it from him.

UPDATE: I heated this up for leftovers for my lunch the other day and it was EVEN BETTER. The flavors really had time to soak into the rice and it had a LOT more flavor. It was seriously delicious. So make lots and then eat it for days because it’s the gift that keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment