Thursday, September 10, 2015

Travel | Iowa State Fair


So, the Iowa State Fair is a big deal.  It lasted ten days; from August 13-23 in Des Moines and in that time period hundreds of thousands of people came. This was the highest attended Iowa State Fair yet. We could speculate as to why that was; the food, the presidential candidates, the activities, rides, etc. I don't know. But I do know why I went - to eat.

The menu section of the webpage is divided into 3 sections: healthy options, on-a-stick and $3 and under. The healthy options included such things as: fruit in cup and brisket in a waffle cone. I wanted to eat things on sticks. Preferably for $3 and under. So one random weekday we got in our car and went to the Iowa State Fair.

As soon as we got there it began to rain. So we seeked out refuge in a barn that contained some calfs and baby goats. Awww. They were cute and it wasn't as smelly as I had anticipated. The rain let up and away we went on our food mission.

Our first food stop was the Pork chop on a stick. It's a fan favorite and everyone in Iowa says you have to get it - so we did. It was alright, kind of fatty and gristly at the end - seems like a waste. After that we got a bacon wrapped rib on a stick. My husband was a fan of that one, but I didn't really like the BBQ sauce. We also tried: apple pie on a stick, deep fried snickers on a stick, corn brat on a stick, cheesecake on a stick and a double bacon wrapped corn dog on a stick. Does your stomach hurt just reading that? My favorite was the cheesecake - it was dipped in chocolate and heavenly. The apple pie was a disappointment - the idea is a lot better than the reality. 

Another must-see this year at the fair was the butter cow. Yes, a life sized cow made out of butter. Ridiculously awesome, and totally something I waited in line to see. 

I am really glad that we went and got to experience it and a big thanks to my husband for coming with me and taking pictures of me shoving my face with all that food. And for waiting in line for the butter cow with me - that's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment