Monday, September 7, 2015

Book Review | The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah


 I have read numerous novels by this author, and only in her more recent ones have I really felt like she has hit her stride. This one is no exception, so I will just get right into it.

The Plot

The Nightingale takes place in France, 1939 in the quiet village of Carriveau. Vianne Mauriac is forced to say goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads to the Front. She doesn’t believe that the Nazi’s will invade France, but they do - in droves. When France is overrun Vianne is forced to take the enemy into her home; her every move is watched and she is concerned for the safety of her daughter. Meanwhile, Vianne’s sister Isabelle is a rebellious 18 year old.While thousands of Parisians march into the unknown terror of war, Isabelle falls in love. When he betrays her, she runs full force into danger and joins the Resistance movement; never looking back or giving a thought to the truly dangerous consequences.

My Thoughts

I felt like this was much different book than what I have read from Hannah before. It was refreshing and she did great with the challenge of historical fiction. The plot line is very intriguing and at times quite suspenseful. The character development is pretty spot on - I found myself caring about what happened to them, and smacking my forehead when Isabelle gets herself into needlessly reckless situations. This book is incredibly heartbreaking though, let’s remember the time frame in which it’s taking place. Good things were NOT going on, and Hannah stays true to that. I give this book 4 stars and hope Hannah sticks with this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment