Monday, July 27, 2015

Book Review | Language Arts by Stephanie Kallos

22749699 

Charles Marlow is a high school English teacher who believes in teaching his students that language will help to expand their worlds. Unfortunately, these beliefs that help him to connect with his autistic son, college bound daughter or with his ex-wife.  He has been living on auto pilot for years, until a series of events forces him to look outside of the routine he has been in. He is forced to look at his past decisions that have brought him to where he is today. 

When reading the synopsis for Language Arts I was pretty sure I knew how this book was going to read. My main complaint for this book is the timeline is a little jumpy. Sometimes it is unclear right away from whose perspective you are reading from. But once you get to the end of the book you will realize it's all by design. I promise you, it's for good reason and try to muscle through it - it will be worth it. 

In this book they talk a lot about the Palmer Method for handwriting, I had never heard of it but it gets discussed a lot - especially near the beginning. It's pretty interesting (and from what I can tell - what they say is true) includes examples, facts, etc. I looked into it enough to deem it at least partially accurate so that's always fun. I like when books include real life tidbits and such.

I really enjoyed reading this book and I gave it 5 stars on goodreads. Have you read this book? Do you want to now after reading this review?

No comments:

Post a Comment