Monday, July 13, 2015

Book Review | Me and Earl and the dying girl by Jesse Andrews

12700353 

So, once again, I saw that this book was becoming a movie and bumped it up on my to-read list. It was a pretty quick read, but let's get into the plot before I share my thoughts on it.

Plot
Me and Earl and the Dying Girl follows Greg Gaines in his senior year of high school. He has mastered the social scene of school by not associating with any one clique. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they play video games and make movies. Until one day Greg's mother forces him (as only mother's can do) to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel. Rachel has leukemia. Greg and Earl decide to make Rachel a movie, as she is the only one who really appreciates their movies anyway. 

My Thoughts
I did not like this book. I didn't care for the writing style, I didn't care for the "humor" and I didn't really feel much compassion for the characters. Which is a pretty terrible thing to say considering one of them had CANCER. I had heard that this book was kind of Fault In Our Stars (ish) but it is not and should never be mentioned in the same breath as that tear-jerker. I don't understand all the rave reviews, maybe I missing something. This book felt immature, half-hearted and was a complete waste of my precious reading time. Utterly dissapointed.





No comments:

Post a Comment