Monday, July 6, 2015

Books | On My Nightstand July 2015

It seems like everyone is saying it, so I will as well. I can't believe it's July already! The year is half over and I'm not entirely sure where it all went. July 2015 is going to contain a road trip to Virginia to see one of my besties, a move to Iowa and lots of reading. Here's a little synopsis of the books currently waiting to be read; going from top to bottom.

Rudy Baylor is in his final semester of law school where he is required to give free legal advice to a group of senior citizens. In the group are Dot and Buddy Black who have a son, Donny Ray. Donny Ray is dying and the insurance company is refusing to pay for his treatments. At first Rudy is skeptical, but upon delving further into the case he realizes that he may have stumbled into one of the largest cases of insurance fraud that anyone has ever seen. One problem: Rudy hasn't even passed the bar yet, is flat out broke and is about to go head to head with one of the best defense attorneys AND one of the most powerful companies in America. 
I know, I can't believe I haven't read this book yet either. Or even viewed the movie. What the heck. I have enjoyed every single John Grisham book I have read, so I'm super looking forward to reading this classic...finally.

Freya and Jack have been "just friends" for more than ten years; despite their apparent differences. When Freya is dumped by her lawyer boyfriend, she moves into Jack's apartment and tensions begin to arise. Things get especially sticky when Jack agrees to act as Freya's significant other at her step-sister's wedding.
This book just seems like a nice and simple read. I will probably cram this one in when I need something light and fluffy to disappear into for a few hours.

Andrew Bankson is an English anthropologist who has been alone out in the field for many years. He is studying the Kiona river tribe in the Territory of New Guinea. He is haunted by the memories of his brothers' death and is growing increasingly frustrated with his research and isolation. Bankson, on the verge of suicide,  has a chance encounter with colleagues Nell Stone and her husband Fen. They are looking for a new adventure and when Bankson introduces them to a new tribe that is female dominated he ignites and intellectual and romantic firestorm.

Gavin Sasaki is a young journalist in New York City, at least until he fired disgracefully. It's 2009 and the world is in an economic downturn; the last thing Gavin wants to do is return to his hometown in Florida. Luckily, he is offered a job by his sister, Eilo, as a real estate broker who deals in foreclosed homes. Eilo recently visited a home that housed a child, ten years old, who looked suspiciously like her brother and shared the same last name as Gavin's high school girlfriend Anna; whom Gavin last saw ten years ago. 
I really enjoyed Station Eleven by this same author, so I have decided to slowly make my way through her works. 

As America's Mercury Seven were launched on a death-defying mission, the cameras were focused on the brave smiles of their young wives. Overnight, these women were transformed into American royalty. 
Isn't this being made into a movie or a television show? I thought I saw a commercial or heard something?

Elsa is a different seven year old, her crazy grandmother is her best and her only friend. When Elsa's grandmother dies, she leaves behind a series of apology letters to the people she has wronged. Her grandmother's letters lead Elsa on her biggest adventure yet.
A Man called Ove was possibly one of my favorite books that I read in 2014, so naturally when this one came out I snagged it ASAP to devour it. Expect a full review on this one, and I hope it's as good as I am imagining it to be.

Claire Waverly has started a new venture, Waverly's Candies, that is her own handmade confections. Though these confections are effective; promoting them and crafting them are costing her the everyday joys of her family. Sydney Waverly is also on the verge of losing her balance as she longs for a baby boy; a namesake for her Henry. The more she tries, the faster she is losing out on the life and joys that are right in front of her. Sydney's daughter, Bay, has lost her heart to a boy - but he doesn't know it. 

There you have it, the current reading list! What is on your nightstand to read this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment