Monday, June 22, 2015

Book Review | 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup

 18478222

Let me begin with: I have not seen the movie and I do not plan on doing so. I am sure it's great, but reading this book was sad enough and I don't want to see it - like in my face. Thanks for understanding.

Alright, so just based on the title, 12 years a slave, you know this book is probably going to be gut-wrenching. Slavery is terrible, inhumane and incredibly difficult to read about.  This memoir follows Solomon Northup (the author) who was born and raised free in New York. He had a house, wife and kids - he was literally living the dream. One day he was drugged and kidnapped and sold into slavery in the deep south. He quickly learned that voicing he was free just lead to more whippings; especially since his free papers were stolen. Northup suffered 12 years as a slave and while this memoir can be graphic - this happened. It is a true story and he never lost his spirit or his hope. 

I feel weird saying this book was great or awesome because the subject matter is so awful. But if he never lost hope, then I think I can get through my simple life. A passage from the book that stuck with me:

"The existence of Slavery in its most cruel form among them has a tendency to brutalize the humane and finer feelings of their nature. Daily witnesses of human suffering - listening to the agonizing screeches of the slave - beholding him writhing beneath the merciless lash - bitten and torn by dogs - dying without attention, and buried without shroud or coffin - it cannot otherwise be expected, than that they should become brutified and reckless of human life." 

I will say that Northup has some terrible experiences, but he does acknowledge that there are kind-hearted men out there who have slaves in their employ.

"It is true that there are many kind-hearted and good men in the parish of Avoyelles - such men as William Ford - who can look with pity upon the sufferings of a slave, just as there are, over all the world, sensitive and sympathetic spirits, who cannot look with indifference upon the sufferings of any creature which the Almighty has endowed with life."

If this book doesn't haunt you or stick with you, you're doing something wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment