Monday, June 29, 2015

Book Review | The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins

I had mentioned to a friend that I was taking this book along with me on my travels to Florida, and she told me that she got so into it that she had a hard time putting it down. I started this book right before I left, and pretty much read it the entire 2ish hour flight and then stayed up late two nights in a row to finish it. It is a suspense novel and I absolutely loved it. I have heard this book compared to Gone Girl and the only real similarity I see is the TYPE of book they both are. That, and I didn't see the ending coming in either book.


22557272

The Girl On The Train is the debut book by Paula Hawkins, and it is an exciting ride. Rachel takes the same train every morning; while on the train she looks at the cozy suburban homes and watches the same couple eat breakfast morning after morning. She begins to feel as though she knows them, even gives them names and personalities. The life she imagines for them is absolutely perfect, everything she herself wants. Then she seems something shocking that changes everything. Unable to keep this to herself, she takes it to the police and becomes inextricably involved in the case and the lives of those involved.

I kept it vague because I don't want spoilers and the not knowing is part of the ride. This book is sad, creepy, suspenseful - everything. There is some flaws in character development, one of the people in the book I just feel like I don't know anything about her. Why should I care about her? I need a reason to either like or dislike a person, more than just a indiscretion. I like to know personality, it helps me to feel more ingrained into the book.

I gave the book only 4 stars because of the reason I stated above, but this book was great. I will definitely read more books by Paula Hawkins if she continues to write them.

No comments:

Post a Comment