Monday, June 15, 2015

Books | On My Nightstand


So while you're reading this I am beginning my second week in  Jacksonville, Florida visiting my sister's family. Actually some of these books may have already made an appearance in my Five things Friday - What I have read. So, sorry for the repeats! The majority of the books on my nightstand (or suitcase) this month are easy beach reads. I have 3 nieces and getting through complex books with them around is virtually impossible. Plus, I only see them once a year and I want to spend time with them - not with my nose stuck in a book. But for when desperate times call, this is what I am reading!

Yes like the Academy Award winning film; no I did not see it. I wanted to read the book first and I am finally getting around to it. This is the true story of Solomon Northup who was born and raised as a free man in New York. One day he was drugged, kidnapped and sold into slavery in the deep south. This book is the account of his 12 years as a slave. I expect tears.

 Since I'm in Florida for two weeks, this seems like a nice book to read while sitting at the beach or the pool. It follows a bunch of summer drama at Nantucket Beach Club. Sounds simple and delightful to me.

There are two families who live next door to one another; the Garrett's and the Reed's. Naturally they are complete opposites; Samantha Reed wishes from her rooftop perch that her family could be more like the Garrett family. One day, Jase Garrett climbs up and joins her. As they begin to fall for one another, the unthinkable happens. I am looking forward to this book, especially because the "unthinkable" could be anything! 

This book follows three very different characters who seemingly are completely unconnected. As the books unravels, you begin to see the connections; along with their secrets and their stories. This book takes place in turn of the century New York City. Another one that I've been wanting to read and happened to snag it off the new release shelf at the library! Will probably do a full review on this.

Grace and Ted Chapman are often regarded as the ideal literary power couple; he is a successful novelist and she is a wonderful homemaker. But underneath it all is Ted's struggles with rage and mood swings. When Ted's longtime assistant leaves, everything begins to crumble and Grace is incredibly vulnerable. I enjoy Jane Green, another great book to have on my trip with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment