Thursday, June 4, 2015

Travel | Cedar Point

I love roller coasters. It seems like I shouldn't because I get motion sick, but for whatever reason roller coasters don't (yet) make me sick. My husband, on the other hand, is not a fan. So my friend T and I have gone the past two years to ride our little hearts out at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio.

The weather could not have been more gorgeous. Not a cloud in the sky and the perfect temperature of low 70s. If you've never been to Cedar Point here are a few things you should know:
  1. It's the roller coaster capital of the world; boasting an impressive 17 roller coasters.
  2. It is on a peninsula, so it has pretty nice views of Lake Erie.
  3. It also has live events, a waterpark and dozens of hotels/resorts to stay at.
 T and I went on 8/17 coasters on this trip; so we went on all of the BIG ones with the exception of Gatekeeper. We skipped this one because we went on it last year and it gave us headaches. So I am going to talk a bit about the coasters we DID go on and if you love roller coasters and have never been to Cedar Point. Go. Now. We always go in May, and the longest we waited in line was for an hour. At peak season; waits can be 3 or more hours. #nothanks

First up, Raptor.  Raptor is an inverted coaster, which means the track is actually above you. You have nothing but sky underneath your feet, which gives the illusion of flying through the air. This coaster is a 2 minute ride with speeds topping out at 57 mph. You go upside down about 6 separate times, before returning safely to solid ground. This ride is always a must-ride; it's fun and smooth.

Raptor

So they are advertising Rougarou as a new coaster this year, but it's literally just the Mantis with new paint and seats. (Mantis was a stand-up coaster, that they turned into this ride I am assuming because of issues with that design). Rougarou is another floorless coaster that lasts about 2 minutes and 15 seconds with speeds up to 60 mph. To me, this coaster feels less like "flying" than the raptor I think because it's not inverted. Rougarou will plunge you 137 feet and take you through 4 different inversions. Not my favorite ride, but glad they switched up the Mantis. It's a bit whippy in my personal opinion.
 
Rougarou 
Millennium Force is probably my favorite ride of them all, and we were lucky enough to get on it twice in our visit. This ride lasts 2 minutes and will take you up to the staggering speeds of 93 mph. It also drops you 310 feet and takes you on a super smooth ride including an 80 degree drop. This ride is an absolute MUST for roller coaster enthusiasts. 
 

So I don't have anymore pictures that I took so I will just give a brief overview of the rest of the roller coasters we rode on.

Cedar Creek Mine Ride is pretty chill with a top speed of 40 mph and ride time of 2 minutes. It doesn't go upside down at all; but I do think wooden coasters are a rougher ride so keep that in mind.
Iron Dragon is another calm(er) coaster at 2 minutes in length and speeds of 40 mph. This ride is particularly neat because it's over water and you weave in and out of the columns. Fun fact: this was the first roller coaster I ever rode on!
Magnum XL-200 is a classic; it was a total record breaker when it was brand new with it's 200 foot drop and speeds of 73 mph. We rode this one twice and while it's not as smooth as a ride as the newer ones; it's still worth it for sure.
Maverick is my second favorite ride with it's speed launch through dark tunnels and twisty-turn track. This one doesn't have your typically slow trek up the first hill, it takes you pretty quickly up it and tops out at speeds of 70 mph. It's a definite must ride.
And lastly, Top Thrill Dragster is not for the faint of heart or those afraid of heights. This one shoots you out at 120 mph up 420 feet into the air and then plunges you straight back down. It's only 17 seconds, but you're heart won't stop racing for at least 5 minutes. This one is epic.

What are your favorite roller coasters? What's your favorite amusement park?


No comments:

Post a Comment