Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Book Review | Goodnight June by Sarah Jio



Sarah Jio is another author whom I love. I don't think I have read a book by Sarah Jio that I didn't thoroughly enjoy, before this one. I wholeheartedly recommend The Bungalow that book was AMAZING. But we are here to discuss Goodnight June

This book follows June Andersen and when we are introduced to her she is a hard-hitting financial person in charge of foreclosures...especially shutting down small businesses. Naturally, her work life takes precedence and her personal life is falling apart all around her. She never visits her family, she doesn't speak to her sister, her love life is is non-existent, etc. She seems content in living this life, until she receives a letter stating that her great Aunt Ruby has passed away, leaving her bookstore to June. The bookstore is a children's bookstore that her Aunt Ruby has owned for decades, and June hesitantly heads back to the west coast to settle Great Aunt Ruby's affairs. Once there, June discovers a secret the Ruby has kept hidden all this time - her friendship with renowned children's author Margaret Wise Brown, who you might know as the writer of Goodnight Moon, a childhood favorite for many. June begins to uncover all of her aunt Ruby's secrets, and the truth of how Goodnight Moon came to be.

It seems like, how could this book be bad? It has all the elements of greatness; books, authors, intrigue, even romance.  While the actual intrigue and kind of mysterious, secret uncovering parts I found to be decent...the character development for the lead fell short for me. It's never a good thing if you loathe the main character in a book. I just felt like she was so...awful, and then we never really rectified her awfulness. It just didn't go deep enough for me, I guess. The relationship between Ruby and Margaret was developed so much better and that was told and developed only through letters. I was disappointed, but I suppose you can't hit every one out of the park. I will continue to read to Sarah Jio, but this one didn't do it for me.

I gave this book 2/5 stars on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment