Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Book Review | MaddAddam Trilogy by Margaret Atwood

First and foremost, this is brief overview of all three books. So if you haven't read any of them and you don't want to know some spoilers...DON'T READ THIS. Or don't read beyond the first book. 

#SPOILERALERT



So I have recently completed the MaddAddam Trilogy by Margaret Atwood. Obviously, it consists of 3 books and I plan on giving a brief overview of each book, along with my thoughts on it. Let's get to it!

Book one is Oryx and Crake. These books jump around in time, some is in the present, some is in the past. In this book we meet Snowman, also known as Jimmy. He is living a world decimated by a plague, in which he survived. He does not know if he is the last human alive and he is mourning the loss of his best friend, Crake, and the beautiful and enchanting Oryx whom both Jimmy and Crake love(d). We are also introduced the the Children of Crake, Crakers, who were created by Crake before the plague. Jimmy embarks on a journey with the aide of the Crakers to find out if he is the only human alive still.

My thoughts: Atwood does a magnificent job of creating this dystopian world. I definitely found myself fully immersed into it. The book ends at a place that leaves you wanting more. I enjoy that feeling, especially in a trilogy. After I read the last page I couldn't wait to get my hands onto the second book to continue the adventure. 
I gave Oryx and Crake 4 stars on Goodreads.

#SPOILERALERT 

Book two is The Year of the Flood. This book is more a sidequel, which just means that the main story is taking place at the same time as the first book. In this story we are introduced to some new characters, including a group of people known as God's Gardeners. With the environmental stability on shaky ground, this group of people meld together science and religion; also predicting a huge disaster would one day destroy Earth as they know it. Well...it happened. Two women survived; Ren and Toby. Ren is locked inside of a high-end sex club and Toby (who was/is a God's Gardener) has barricaded herself inside of a spa. They each wonder if they are the only one's who have survived. Ren's friend Amanda? Her step-father Zeb? Her once lover Jimmy? While these two women are fighting their own battles, gene-spliced life forms are rapidly increasing in numbers. Separately, the need to decide their next moves and venture to see what is out there. This book takes a pretty dark turn, but I promise it's a great adventure getting there.

My thoughts: This was my favorite book of the 3. I loved the unraveling of the individual stories, and seeing how all the story lines crossed over one another. I loved learning more back story about the character's, I loved it all. I gave this book 5 stars on Goodreads.

#SPOILERALERT

Book three is MaddAddam. In the third book you meet even more characters, and honestly it gets to be a confusing. At this point, Ren and Toby have met up with Jimmy, the Crakers and a whole mess of other people. We learn about Zeb, who has an interesting past. The group is being stalked by angry Painballers, plus Amanda is still being tormented by her abduction. It's great to finally have all the characters in one place, but the relationships are kind of odd, not mention they form an alliance with the pigoons against the Painballers and that's kind of weird, in an awesome kind of way.

My thoughts: The last book definitely created more questions for me. I didn't end this book feeling like I got any closure, but I guess that just means I'm going to talk about it and ponder it more frequently. I gave this book 3 stars on Goodreads.

I would definitely recommend this trilogy to a reader who likes dystopian novels, with a bit of sci-fi thrown in there. The characters have a great back story, and it was fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment