Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Book Review | Landline by Rainbow Rowell


I have read three other novels by Rainbow Rowell (I always want to say her last name is Roosevelt? Any ideas as to why?), and I absolutely ADORED them. So  needless to say, I was excited to give this one a try.

The premise is Georgie McCool (lame name game) is a tv writer, with a marriage that she knows is faltering. The love is still there, but she is constantly putting work ahead of her family relationships. Two days before the family is due to leave to go visit her husband's family in Nebraska, Georgie says she can't go -- a tv show she has been shopping around is maybe, finally getting picked up and she needs to work. Needless to say, she is still shocked when her husband and two kids go on to Nebraska for Chrismas anyway. Georgie wonders if she's finally ruined everything. But wait! Insert a magical landline telephone in her childhood bedroom! Georgie, in the midst of a potential breakdown, discovers a way to communicate with the past. What should she do?

Now, I feel like the magic phone deal was handled in an odd fashion. I just couldn't get on board with it, and it feel weird to me. I also had a hard time rooting for Georgie, I just felt like it took her a really long time  to get her crap together and that was irritating to me. 

This is definitely NOT my favorite Rainbow Rowell book, (read Eleanor & Park or Fangirl!) and I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads. Will I continue to read everything she puts out, OF COURSE, but I hope she steers away from clunky magical realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment