Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Monumentour 2014

C and I enjoy going to concerts -- in our several years together we have attended many many concerts. We went to Vans Warped Tour many years ago in San Antonio, Texas and we were on our way to go see Paramore (one of my very favorite bands) -- This is way back before they had any songs on the radio, but it started to POUR rain, and my sunburn started to blister, so C made the smart decision that we should depart. Paramore was the only band left that we wanted to see (I think), and we figured we would get our chance later.

Cue, 6 years later and it finally happened. Not going to lie, I thought we had lost our chance there for awhile when things were shaky with the band. But, with the Monumentour, our wait was over. I was ecstatic to find out that they were even touring with my all time favorite band Fall out Boy, whom I have seen at least 6 times. It seemed like destiny. -- even after we got our tickets for a great deal on Groupon, it just all was aligning so perfectly.

The morning of the show it was POURING rain, and I was nervous but determined. I told C that no matter what I was going to the show, and he assured me that he had a poncho so we were prepared. By the time we got to the venue, which was DTE Energy Music Theatre in Clarkston, Michigan (read my review of the venue here), the weather was gorgeous. It was kind of windy, but super sunny and big fluffy clouds.

The show was excellent, read The Oakland Press' review of the show for more specifics, if you desire. After the openers, New Politics, from Denmark -- Paramore came out!


This is the only picture I grabbed, lead singer Hayley Williams had bright blue hair and she was so energetic! At first, I wasn't really impressed by her live singing but once she stopped jumping around kicking the air, her voice could really shine through. She gave lots of love to "Detroit" (even though we were Clarkston) and of course, the crowd loved it. They played their major radio hits, and at least one song from their first album. I could listen to the first album all day, so I wished they had sang some more, but I realize I was in the minority there.

After Paramore, out came Fall out Boy! I got zero good pictures, and it looks the stage is on fire.

They played some old songs that I never heard them play before, in the 6 times previously. But of course they played all their radio hits, which the crowd loved. At one point, bassist Pete Wentz asked for them to turn down the house lights and asked the crowd to light up the theatre with their cell phones. This is my obligatory crappy photo of it.


It was actually really cool, and I had to reminisce about how people used to have to actually use the screens on their cell phones because they didn't have flashlights on their cell phones. If I'm going to go real old school, remember when they had to actually use lighters? Oh the days.

I am so glad we were finally able to see Paramore and I am glad I got to spend a beautiful summer night at a concert. What group have you been wanting to see and it never seems to work out? Or does this only happen to me?



No comments:

Post a Comment